Establishing connection to a mentor is the way in which we establish sangha – one of the Three Jewels on the Buddhist path. Sangha is the community of people who are on an investigative path, who live in or aspire to live in awareness. They are our teachers, mentors and friends who encourage us along the way and help us regain our footing when we falter. They are our spiritual family.
The three jewels – Buddha, our awakened nature, Dharma, the teachings and practices that lead to awakening, and Sangha, those who aspire to live awake – become precious to us as invaluable supports on our yogic path of awareness.
We bring these ideals into practice daily by reciting the refuge prayer:
From now until I reach the very heart of liberation, I take refuge in awareness, the path that leads to awareness and those who live in awareness, my teachers, friends and spiritual family.
We consider the mentoring process an essential element for those on the path of certification with the Insight Yoga Institute. As such, we have brought together a group of mentors to support each of you on the path and in your practice. You will be assigned a mentor upon completion of your application and acceptance to the Institute. The fees for mentorship are not included in the individual program costs. The fee structure is outlined below.
When we first began IYI, we had initially given a timeframe of six years to complete the program. In order to promote an attitude of lifelong learning, we have now made the completion time open-ended to support students in the way that is needed for your personal path. In the early stages, it is essential that the mentoring relationship feels strong as there may be long gaps between the times you are physically with the IYI sangha.
Because of this change, we feel that the mentoring process needs to have a strong structure in place and have outlined the following:
- In the first two years after your acceptance to IYI, we require that you communicate with your mentor four times per year, at agreed upon dates between the mentor and the mentee, for a one-hour audio or video call. This can also be broken up into eight thirty-minute sessions at your option. The mentors will also be reaching out via email monthly to check in with you regarding your practice and anything that might be arising.
- The annual fee for these sessions will be $500 and will be paid in advance of the year of communication with your mentor. We have created a payment mechanism through Paypal to pay for your sessions. Payment details will be sent upon your acceptance into IYI.
- After the initial two-year commitment, we offer you the option to remain with the structure above or to step down to a two time per year, one-hour audio/video call with your mentor. This can also be broken up into four thirty-minute sessions at your option. Mentors will check in via email as above, but less frequently – six times per year. The annual fee for this option is $250.
- The mentoring relationship should continue through the completion time of your certification.
- If you are an existing IYI student and have already had two years of quarterly calls, it will be your option to choose quarterly or semi-annual calls with your mentor.
- If at any time that you need additional support from your mentor, calls may be scheduled for a fee of $100/hour or $50/half-hour and paid through the IYI Paypal link for your mentor.
If you are ever feeling that you would like to have a mentoring session with Sarah or Ty Powers in addition to the time with your assigned mentor, please know that is available. Please contact us for their fee structure.